Thursday, December 2, 2010

Ten years of marriage

Marriage is a magical word. The longer you are married, the more you need  to treasure it and care it, and never take it for granted.
They say that marriage needs caring and tending just like a young tree. If you do not water it or it does not enjoy plenty of sunshine, it will wither. I think it is a good and colorful metaphor which will always remind me that I need to pay attention to my marriage. I just celebrated my 10th anniversary of wedding, now as I look back, I write down whatever is on mind.

Ten years may be long to someone, but to me, as if I only met my wife just yesterday. Back then, she was just 22 years old, how youthful and cheerful   she was. We used to sit down on the sandy beach, the trees are whirling, the  congenial breeze was blowing, and we were lying on the sand, chatting and dreaming about our future, picturing what a nice villa and a car we’d like to own, and how many children we are going to have.

In fact, life turned out to be not as romantic and rosy as we imagined.We had  ups and downs together, and our love produced luscious fruits, a lovely daughter and a naughty son.

Looking at the wedding photos, I can still clearly remember the days we were married. How happy we were then. I am thankful that God gave me such a nice and beautiful wife.Yes, I have to admit secretly that my wife is beautiful,which is partly the reason that I fell in love with her at the first sight. Anyway, it is in man's nature to love beauty, isn't it? In the same way, it is in woman's nature to love handsome man.(It is a pity I  do not belong to the category, and my wife is always complaining that her dream white prince is not that handsome, and to be honest, a little bit short.)My appearance let her down.

It is always amusing to think of some of the scenes in the past, my wife liked to buy fancy and fashionable clothes, after trying it in front of the mirror, she would ask my opinions of how she looked in the new clothes. I was getting tired of this, every time I would open my eyes widely and gazed at the clothes closely, and then winked, saying jokingly:” How beautiful you are in the new clothes! But you would be more beautiful with nothing on”, she would get angry, chasing and cursing:” you wicked man!"

Now I came to realize that, besides beauty, she has something beautiful inside. Beauty is just skin deep, I know that. But inner beauty never will vanish or fade, it will always shine brilliantly. I felt depressed easily when thing went amiss with me or I had a certain bad luck, but she would always be there to   encourage me, telling me to focus on the positive side, to cherish myself  and face the setbacks head-on, she even bought some psychology books to read to better comfort me. Sometimes, I couldn't fall asleep at night; she was there to comfort me, rubbing my feet. Strangely enough, my insomnia disappeared. To my great amusement, I began to fall asleep as soon as my head touched the pillow while my wife was constantly woken or kept awake by her trumpeting (snoring) partner! It may be easy to do such these things for a day or two, but it takes patience, perseverance, more importantly, love to stick to it.  Now as I am writing down these lines, tears began to stream down my face. Moved? Happy or bittersweet tears? Only I know what it is.
"I,  take you , to be my wife to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part. "The words moved me to tears whenever Isaw western wedding ceremony, most probably they mean it when saying so, but many couples turn out to strangers or enemies, both hurt seriously. Buddhism has a saying: it takes ten years of destiny to take the same boat and a hundred of destiny to share the same bed (with someone), but I used to lose my temper at my wife when I got blues, she just suffered silently.

When our daughter was born into the world, I was not at her side and it was not because of my job that I was not there instead I enjoyed myself with some friends, never did I change a wet diaper. How selfish I was! 5 years later, she gave birth to our son. And I moved to another place; seldom did I stay with her. She lived in her unit, looking after our daughter with on one around to help her. To make things worse, there was no one living in the unit during night, I could never imagine how she managed to be so courageous. "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water", I think that my wife is even so, but I would rather I myself get into hot water instead of her.” You can not just love someone by saying you love some-one wholeheartedly while doing nothing for her.” Actions speak louder than words".

I am not successful, nor ambitious, but it is my responsibility to make sure my wife and children have a happy life. It is her dream to buy a decent car so that we can improve our life quality, but the flats cost us a huge amount of  money, we are still in debt, I made a promise that one day a nice car will be bought for her, I need to keep my promise, I need to earn a little bit more  money to make it a reality.
Dear wife, you are the only one I would like to spend the rest of life with!  I am fortunate to have you as my partner, I will love you more and more   every single happy.
“If I got down on my knees I’m being with you
if I cross a million oceans just to be with you.
would you ever let me down?

If I climb the highest mountain just to hold you tight.
If I said that I would love you every single night.
Would you ever let me down?”
My darling, deep in my heart, I know you will never let me down, ten years of marriage has given me a definite answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment