Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The winter clothing scheme

Today is Sunday, the last day of October. When I crawled out of my nest, I approached the window and draw apart the curtains. Out of expect, an icy current blew against my face, went into my nostrils, spoiling and ravaging my weak respiratory system. It seemed every nerve in my body was awakened. I coughed and kept sneezing. By instinct, I put my hand across my mouth, thus coughing pacified. Seeing my frightened look, my husband David went over and put my coat over my shoulder. One step forward, I discovered window panes were white with a thin coat of frost. “Damned weather. It should be brisk and pleasant in autumn.” I gave a puff towards the glass, tiny water drops streaming down. “Honey, there are not so many ‘should-bes’. We are experiencing unseasonable autumn weather recently. Do you remember last winter?” David assumed a mock-serious manner. Certainly I do. The cold was unbearable. My office was like an icehouse that whatever clothes you threw upon, your feet and hands still remained stiff and numb. We had to resort to hot-water bag to warm our fingers.
“Dear, don’t dwell on the past any more. Get dressed and let’s go shopping. Maybe you need a new pair of feather trousers.” David’s high-pitched voice cut off my thoughts, reining them from drifting farther. I always compare David as the worm in my stomach. Yes, he is right. I need a new pair of feather trousers. For one thing, a new cold air front is reported to be approaching Northern China. For another, my work place has moved into the western suburbs, where there are few trees and buildings to fend off the whistling winds. I swiftly slipped the clothes on and went into the washing room.
Since we moved, I have little time to go shopping. There are no commercial areas in the west. Department stores and shopping malls are clustered in the east section. Not having been in downtown for a week, I feel as if I were deserted by this bustling city. On the bus, David told me the price for feather coats has gone up dramatically, together with edible oil, sugar, vegetables and so on. My heart quivered a bit. Our monthly salary remains unchanged, how could daily goods be raised? With living expenses deducted, we have little left on the saving account every month. I explained to David that there was no need to buy an expensive one and that we had to battle against the rocketing prices. David smiled, squeezing my arm. “Dear, we only buy things we need badly, but that doesn’t mean we are bargain-hunters. Remember quality counts.” Then we spent the whole morning strolling around shelves of mountains of winter clothing, feeling the material, selecting the style, and comparing the color. Finally, our eyes were locked on a pair of black feather trousers, soft and smart. After trying it on, we were both satisfied. Though it may appear a bit swollen, it would get me through the cold winter. Money is easily spent than earned. A small portion of my salary was gone, but I gained love and care. David is a nice guy, I appreciate the opportunity to be his wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment